http://mediterranean-imports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/newlogoheader.jpg 0 0 katezaidan http://mediterranean-imports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/newlogoheader.jpg katezaidan2019-11-01 17:29:462019-11-01 17:29:46Pecan- Orange Baklava Pie
- 2/3 cup Buram Pine Honey
- 2 (3″) cinnamon sticks
- 1 1 /2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 cups raw pecans (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, plus 1 teaspoon orange curls
- 20 (17×12″) sheets fresh phyllo pastry or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup (2 stick) President butter, melted
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- Special Equipment
- A 9-inch springform pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring honey, cinnamon sticks, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup water to a boil in medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil until syrup is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, 15–18 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in bourbon, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, spread pecans on large rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown, 13–15 minutes. Let cool. Transfer nuts to a food processor. Add ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. orange zest, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Place stack of phyllo sheets on a work surface. Keep any phyllo you’re not currently working with covered under a layer of plastic wrap topped with a slightly damp kitchen towel. Using base of springform pan as a guide, and starting at edge of phyllo, carefully cut out 20 (9″) circles, leaving as much phyllo remaining as possible. Cover phyllo circles. Using base of pan as a guide, cut remaining phyllo into 20 (4 1/2″) half-circles.
- Insert base into pan and secure the latch. Brush base with butter. Place 1 phyllo circle in pan and brush generously with butter. Top with 2 half-circles to create a full circle, brush with butter. Top with full circle, brush again. Top with 2 more half-circles at a 90° angle from the first half-circle layer, brush with butter. Top with a full circle, and brush again. You should have 5 layers of pastry (full circle – half-circles – full circle – half circles – full circle), with butter spread between each layer. Spread one-fifth of nut mixture over phyllo. Repeat layering 4 more times. Top with the 5 remaining phyllo circles; brush top with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top layer (do not cut through to bottom of pan) to divide into 4 quadrants. Working with 1 quadrant at a time, make 1 straight cut to divide the quadrant into 2 even wedges. Make 4 more straight cuts (2 each on either side of, and parallel to the quadrant division line), spacing evenly apart. Now working within each wedge, make 2 evenly-spaced cuts parallel to the outside edge of the quadrant, connecting at points with the previous cuts to form a diamond pattern. Repeat with the remaining quadrants to create a starburst pattern. Transfer pan to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until phyllo is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Spoon cooled syrup over hot baklava in 4 additions. Place orange curls on top. Let cool completely in pan. Remove springform ring and cut baklava along the scored lines.
- Do Ahead
- Syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Baklava can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.
- A 9-inch springform pan
*Find all these ingredients at Dean’s Mediterranean!
Recipe courtesy of: epicurious